Sunday, January 6, 2013

Starting to Notice the Bond

These are the most recent letters we received from our children. And I am starting to notice that the relationship is growing, which is sweet to my soul.

I "know" in my brain that sponsorship works. That it is valuable. That we are making a tangible difference in these kids' lives by helping them get an education that will rewrite their story of poverty forever.

But now I "KNOW" in my heart that the relationship also starts to work over time. These letters whisper back to me signs of growth in our friendship... signs of spiritual seeds being sown... signs of these children believing that they have value & are loved by someone on the other side of the world. I have not written our sponsor kids EVERY month, just like most of you. But over the last 15 months, I've been a consistent voice. And they are listening.

Roshan is my sponsor child, and when I got to meet him & his family last Feb, his mother shared a prayer request with me-- Roshan's daddy is an alcoholic and it means little work and lots of pain for the family. I shared with her, I understood that pain-- my mom was also an alcoholic-- and would pray for the family situation. Whenever I write to Roshan, I remind him that I am praying for his daddy & the drinking & his whole family. This most recent letter, Roshan shares the news that his dad is drinking less! And that Roshan is now also praying for him to stop drinking. I am seeing God at work.

Anshu is my daughter's sponsor child, and in this letter she writes that she remembers me when I visited and that she could tell I loved her very much. She also writes that she remembers a woman named Skipper (another sponsor who travelled there in July). She says, "I know Skipper, she spoke and served food to us in the school." This is a lasting memory for Anshu. That this woman shared the gospel in word & deed. Anshu ends her letter by telling my daughter that she liked hearing the story of Jonah (which my daughter wrote to her about)... she says "I learned this story in school too."

It may seem small... but after over a year of writing, I'm finally feeling the fruit of relationship.

If any of you sponsors have stories like this you ever want to share, PLEASE email me and I would love to post them here!!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment